LONGWAVE YOGA POSE OF THE MONTH
April: Parivritta Parsvakonasana (Revolved Side Angle Pose)
As we venture into a whole month of spring cleaning at Longwave Yoga, its a perfect time to explore cleansing postures, such as revolved side angle pose. Postures that include twisting are said to compress the organ cavity, placing gentle pressure on the organs. As such, there is a slight restriction of blood flow to the organs. Upon release of the twist, the organs welcome the return of natural blood flow. It's important to note that this isn't a "wringing out" of the organs. Instead, twists encourage the body's natural detoxification process. Revolved side angle pose provides all of the benefits of a twist, plus the bonus of strengthening the legs, stretching the spine, back, glutes, hips, hamstrings, and chest. When this posture is performed, you are not just twisting, you are treating the whole body to a sweet clearing energy.
1. With the right foot forward in a lunge, bring your hands to touch at the center of your chest. The feet are hips distance apart.
2. Exhale, curl the spine into a c-shape as you twist to the right. The c-shape will allow you to hook the left arm on the outside of the right leg.
3. Press the palms together and broaden through the chest and draw the shoulders away from the ears.
4. Engage the left heel toward the back of the room, while lifting the top of the lift thigh straight up so that the back leg is activated and stabilizing.
5. Look over the top shoulder and reach through the crown of the head.
6. Pull the right side of the ribs toward the spine as you press the left side forward.
7. To exit: Inhale, release the palms to the floor and step back to downward facing dog.
8. Repeat on left side.
1. Keep the back knee down to lessen the intensity or to help with stability.
1. Rather than keeping the hands at prayer, begin to slide the bottom around under and around the front let. Wrap the top arm around the low back. Either find the hands to bind or use a strap to bind.
Do not perform this pose if you have low back issues, osteoporosis, sciatica; or if you have constipation or fertility issues.